How Should Motorists Handle Vehicle Property Damage Cases?

Posted: February 22, 2013

Feb. 22, 2013

Vehicle Property Damage from a car accident is often one of the first concerns a motorist will have after a collision. An article from the Herkimer Telegram highlighted one such case in Herkimer Village and also discussed who may be responsible for the accident.

At a village meeting this week, a trustee reported a neighbor’s vehicle had been struck on Francis Street by one of the village’s snowplows. Superintendent Peter Macri explained the plow was clearing ice on a dead-end street. Macri added that the truck was unable to turn around and had to back out of the street, at which point, the plow on the front of the truck struck the resident’s vehicle.

The village says it will work to correct the issue by possibly putting cul-de-sacs on problematic streets, but officials claimed New York law says the village is not responsible for the vehicle’s damage.

This leaves many wondering what they should do if their vehicle is hit. The Buffalo Personal Injury Lawyers with William Mattar Law Offices explain that it is vital to contact your insurance company to file a claim. Estimates to repair the damage will need to be made.

An insurance company may then ask a victim to sign a Property Damage Release Form. It is vital the victim only sign the document though if it covers property damage only. Otherwise, a victim may waive their rights to compensation for a personal injury.

Related Blog Articles
Our Achievements
We are proud to announce that William Mattar was named one of 2021’s Best Companies to Work for in New York. As a firm focused on helping people, we understand that this starts with how we treat each other. We’re happy to be recognized for creating such a notably positive work environment!

Start a Free Case Evaluation

Thank you! Your submission has been received!
Oops! Something went wrong while submitting the form.